Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping one’s mouth clean and free from diseases and other issues by regular brushing of the teeth and cleaning between them.
It is important that oral hygiene be practised regularly to prevent dental disease, gum disease, and bad breath.
The most common types of dental disease are tooth decay and gum diseases, including gingivitis and periodontitis.
General guidelines suggest brushing two times a day: after breakfast and before going to bed, but ideally, the mouth should be cleaned after every meal.
Cleaning between the teeth is as important as brushing your teeth.
A toothbrush cannot reach the areas between the teeth and only removes about 50% of plaque from the surface of your teeth.
The tools needed to clean between the teeth include floss, flossettes, and interdental brushes.
Oral Hygiene Tips from your Doncaster East dentist
Below are some easy oral hygiene tips that will help keep your pearly whites in top condition:
Brushing helps remove food debris left after eating. Brush your teeth at least two times a day – after breakfast and before sleeping. Spend at least 2 minutes brushing.
Make sure all areas are cleaned. Position the toothbrush bristles directly at the gum line, as this is where plaque starts to form.
Move the toothbrush gently in a circular motion, which will clean away as much plaque from the gums as possible.
- Tilt your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against the gums
- Gently move your toothbrush back and forth in short strokes
- Include the outer and the inner tooth surfaces, as well as the chewing surfaces
- Clean the insides of the front teeth, using the tip of the brush
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and to freshen your breath
Just like brushing, flossing helps keep your teeth free from food debris. It cleans the areas your brush can’t reach.
- Use 18 inches of dental floss leaving at least one or two inches to work with
- Gently run the floss up and down between the teeth
- Slide the floss beneath the gum line but avoid snapping the floss on the gums
- Use a new strand of floss for every tooth to avoid putting back the debris or plaque on your teeth
Rinsing your mouth is also important in removing bacterial plaque. It clears your gums and keeps your breath fresh for a long time.
Oral Hygiene at DonEast Supreme Dental
Prevention is always preferable to cure. At DonEast Supreme Dental, we want to help you avoid dental issues by giving you tips on proper oral hygiene techniques.
DonEast Supreme Dental is conveniently located near Tunstall Square Shopping Centre and offer on-site parking for our patients.
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance).
Doncaster East dentist serves local communities in Templestowe, Balwyn North, Doncaster, Doncaster Heights, Donvale, Mont Albert North, Box Hill, Box Hill North, Kerrimuir, Blackburn North, Forest Hill, Nunawading, and Brentford Square.
GAP FREE – General Check-up, Scale and Clean, X-rays and Fluoride treatment (with any health insurance)
*for new patients only
Call us at (03) 9842 1475 or visit us at 1062 Doncaster Road in Doncaster East today!
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- Offer payment plan such as Dentacare and Mysmileplan
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. As a preferred provider for Bupa (Platinum), NIB and CBHS
We are located near Tunstall Square Shopping Centre and offer on site parking for our patients.
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)