White fillings are dental solutions that restore parts of the tooth that have been lost due to trauma or decay.
They function and look like a part of the tooth surface and are made to last for a long time.
Benefits of White Fillings
There are several advantages of white fillings:
- Require minimal tooth preparation
- Conservative and non-invasive treatment
- Offer quick and long-lasting results
- Natural tooth appearance
- Help prevent breakage and damage
- Bond and support the remaining tooth structure
- Insulate teeth from extreme temperature changes
If the above mentioned advantages persuade you to get white fillings for your damaged teeth, here are the procedures you will undergo during the process:
Consultation and Diagnosis
The first step in the process of getting white fillings is visiting your dentist for a consultation. Tell your dentist about the results you want to achieve.
Your dentist will examine your mouth to make sure that your tooth will benefit from a white filling and then discuss the procedure with you.
If necessary, your dentist will use a local anaesthetic to numb the area around the tooth to be filled. To prepare you for the filling, your dentist will use a drill to clean the areas that need to be filled and prepare the tooth for the filling, making sure no decay or debris is left.
- The process of filling the tooth usually starts with the dentist placing a small amount of etch, or ‘shampoo’, on the tooth; after a few moments, the dentist thoroughly washes off this etch. From this point on it is essential that your tooth remains dry, so your dentist will place cotton wool rolls in your mouth to isolate the tooth.
- Next, a bond, or “glue”, is applied. To help set this bond the dentist will use a blue curing light. Your dentist may put in a base to protect the tooth’s inner surfaces; this liner acts in a similar way to the insulation we have in our ceilings.
- After that, your dentist will place the actual filling. Small amounts of a white paste-like material (composite) are placed in the tooth and smoothed into shape; this is then hardened using the blue curing light once again.
- The dentist will then smooth and shape your new filling and check that your bite is correct. To check your bite, you will be asked to bite on a small piece of blue bite paper and gently grind your teeth; this will show the dentist any high spots that still need adjusting. Once you are biting on your teeth as normal, the dentist will give your filling a final polish. Your new filling should now look and feel smooth barely recognisable as a filling.
While getting white fillings for the lost parts of your teeth is helpful, nothing can beat prevention.
Prevention can decrease your risk of cavities and other dental issues.
Here are a few things you can do to avoid teeth damage:
- Brush your teeth two times a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily
- Eat a balanced diet
- Visit your Doncaster East dentist regularly
White Fillings at DonEast Supreme Dental
At DonEast Supreme Dental, we offer you the dental services and care you deserve. We provide a wide range of dental services for patients who reside in Doncaster East and the surrounding areas.
Doncaster East dentist also serves local communities in Templestowe, Balwyn North, Doncaster, Doncaster Heights, Donvale, Mont Albert North, Box Hill, Box Hill North, Kerrimuir, Blackburn North, Forest Hill, Nunawading, and Brentford Square.
*for new patients only
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- Offer payment plan such as Dentacare and Mysmileplan
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. As a preferred provider for Bupa (Platinum), NIB and CBHS
We are located near Tunstall Square Shopping Centre and offer on site parking for our patients.
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)